. . . about fine, old motor yachts

Hull Id Numbers, New Requiremetns

• 06 Apr 2017 4:47 PM
    Message # 4720640

Hello all,

You may have heard that the State of Washington has some new requirements for hull id numbers (HIN).  We just received a letter from the Department of Licensing explaining the new requirements.  Our current HIN as shown on the registration certificate does not comply with the new requirements and we will have to visit a licensing facility to renew our registration this year.

Among other things, the reason is that our HIN doesn't meet the USCG requirements which require that the number have a particular format and include the manufacturer's id code (MIC).  

In 1946, the year our boat was built, I doubt there was any kind of boat registration and there sure Grandy didn't have a MIC.  I really don't mind the hassle of getting a new number but wait, there's more.  The numbers have to be permanently affixed internally and externally to the hull.  "Each hull identification number must be carved, burned, stamped, embossed, molded, bonded, or otherwise permanently affixed to the boat so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious."

They got my attention with the "carved, burned..." bit.  

Has anyone dealt with this?

Hoping someone in the PNW fleet will or may have already come up with a really great solution.

Regards,

Dave Miller

Sea Nymph II

• 09 Apr 2017 8:58 PM
    Reply # 4738789 on 4720640

Our surveyor brought this up... interesting... he made it sound like a plaque applied to the hull- interior cockpit area would work?

http://newboatbuilders.com/docs/HIN-101-for-boat-owners.pdf

They will then assign a HIN to the boat. You will have to put the HIN on the boat in two places. The requirement is for the HIN to be placed on the upper right corner of the transom, or if no transom, at or near the stern on the right side below the gunwale. A duplicate has to be put in a concealed location. Remember where this is. If you ever sell the boat you will need to pass this on to the next owner.It must be “permanently affixed”. This means put on in such a way that any efforts to remove or change it will be obvious. It can be burned, etched, carved, or stamped. You can put it on a plate or label as long as the plate or label cannot be removed. 

Last modified: 09 Apr 2017 9:12 PM | Anonymous member
  • 18 Apr 2017 10:00 AM
    Reply # 4758910 on 4720640

Well I decided to call the Coast Guard.  And this is what he said:  

That this was a Washington State Ruling not a CG Ruling and they had not come up with what their "message" regarding this would be.  I told him that my vessel was documented with the CG and he went to ask the folks that would be the ones who would board our boat here on Puget Sound.  When he  came  back they said that they would look for:   the documentation number and that the name and hailing port are of appropriate size and that was all regarding Numbers and Identification.  Hum........

• 18 Apr 2017 7:49 PM
    Reply # 4762160 on 4720640

I discussed this with my local Auto Licensing office and they were very helpful.

Documented vessels are not required to correct a non-conforming HIN.  This confused me since I had gotten a letter saying we needed to change the HIN.  Turned out my dinghy also has a non-conforming HIN and is registered with the State but not documented.  We had to re-title the dinghy, at no cost to me, and will have to affix the new HIN to the transom and some where else on the boat.  They said they had discussed suitable methods with USCG and recommended getting a tag made at a trophy shop and applying it to the boat with a permanent adhesive.

Once the confusion was resolved, all this took less than 10 minutes to handle the paper work.  I have yet to get the tags made and applied to the dinghy.

• 22 Apr 2017 10:05 AM
    Reply # 4769716 on 4720640
    I also stopped by the Licensing Office and she was quite nice and explained that since both boats were older than 1971 - one was documented- no new HIN's!  Also very quick transaction!

© Classic Yacht Association