. . . about fine, old motor yachts

Copper Bottompaint not legal 2020

• 10 Apr 2017 9:39 AM
    Reply # 4739668 on 4662387
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

As I understand it, commercial vessels and all vessels over 65-feet are exempt from the law.  There should also be an exemption for ALL wooden vessels.

I can't understand why vessels over 65 feet are exempt.  If you're worried about copper in the water, a 100-foot wooden boat has enough copper paint to do 10 smaller boats!  Yet those smaller boats are the ones that will be absolutely destroyed by teredo worms and the like. I hope they're planning on increasing the derelict vessel budget . . .

• 09 Apr 2017 6:37 PM
    Reply # 4738649 on 4662387

Thanks Rick.....Ablative Enocea and Zinc.... hum... Zinc all over your bottoms and washing into the water all around you.... any hot boats or marinas in the area?  San Diego Study with wipe down of the hull required every 3 weeks $$, and zinc is also on a list to go away...

Ask your representative, senator, the person you pay to work on your boat...

You-Hoo is any body out there.......wood boats need a voice regarding this ... 

Last modified: 09 Apr 2017 8:53 PM | Anonymous member
  • 22 Mar 2017 4:08 PM
    Reply # 4684150 on 4662387
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

Hi Tonya & Jerry -- Yes, this is going to be a serious problem!  At this point I don't know of any solution offered by any of the paint companies, and it doesn't look like they have any desire to come up with anything either, as wooden boats are now such a small segment of the market.

I too, would love to hear if anyone knows of anything.

-Rick

• 12 Mar 2017 4:33 PM
    Message # 4662387

Are you ready... in 2020 Recreational Vessels will not be able to use Copper Bottompaint. What will you be using?  What will you use to protect against- torredo worms? hard growth? Soft growth? 

RCW 70.300.020

Lets start a discussion on what to use?  Saltwater protection... able to apply on a damp hull.... will it last 3 years?

Tonya and Jerry
© Classic Yacht Association