. . . about fine, old motor yachts

OLYMPUS DEPARTURE CELEBRATION

• 19 Feb 2017 9:24 AM
    Reply # 4617916 on 4606063
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

M.V. Olympus Send-Off

Come on out and join us as we bid a very fond farewell to the mighty Olympus, as she transits the Locks for probably the last time!

MV Olympus in Locks. LG Evans photo
    Sunday, February 26, 2017

12:00 at Morrison’s Fuel Dock

1:30 at The Ballard Locks

One of the Pacific Northwest Fleet's most beloved vessels, the glorious motoryacht Olympus, has been sold and will soon be returned to her birth place, New York.  Under the loving ownership of Diane Lander for over twenty years, Olympus has thrilled many thousands of people at wooden boat gatherings around the Salish Sea. 

From her history as the Washington State Governor's yacht (1945-1948), through her Crowley Corporate yacht years, chartering years, and VanDerbeek/Lander ownership years, she has become a Pacific Northwest icon representing the golden age of motoryachts in this region.

If you have spent any time at CYA gatherings, then you know of Diane Lander's immense hospitality as she has been one of the most frequent hosts of CYA events aboard Olympus. So please join us to give Olympus a grand farewell!

The yacht will be at Morrison's North Star Fuel Dock at noon, with Captain Rick Etsell and deckhand Ken Meyer. We would love to see a flotilla of other classics join us as we head down the Fremont Cut toward the Locks. 

We will take our time and plan on being at the Locks at about 1330, where a large crowd of well wishers is expected to give us a rousing farewell.

photo above copyright Linda Evans (used with permission).
    Painting "Olympus and Friends" by Tim Wistrom (used with permission.)

• 12 Feb 2017 7:33 PM
    Message # 4606063
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Noon at Morrison’s Fuel Dock

1:30 at The Ballard Locks

The sun has set on the 76 years that Olympus has spent in the Pacific Northwest, and the 79 years she has spent on the West Coast.  I have spent the last three years trying to sell her to a local buyer, and have finally sold her to a New York buyer who will be a wonderful caretaker for this fabulous classic yacht. She is leaving to transit the Ballard Locks for the last time, on her way to Victoria, to be loaded onto a transport ship for the trip to the East Coast.  

Please join me to say goodbye, with two options as follows:

OPTION 1:  Classic boats and other interested boats are invited torendezvous at Morrison’s Fuel Dock where Olympus will finish taking on fuel at noon before heading to the locks. Boats can travel with Olympus to the locks and it would be fun to have a flotilla accompany her.  

OPTION 2:  Join me at the side of the Ballard Locks at 1:30 p.m. for my teary farewell.  I will need lots of friends there to hold me up! 

Many thanks to everyone, and hope to see you there!

Sincerely,
    Diane Lander

© Classic Yacht Association